Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Keeping the Trains Running

Last time I wrote, I had just finished the first act of my new play.  I had done it in a relatively short amount of time and I needed a break.  It felt good to have that sort of momentum and to have these ideas I wanted to get out.  It felt good to take my time with it.  Because even though I wrote the first 62 pages in 11 days and that is fast.  I could have written it in three.  And that would have been too fast.

My attitude with my work used to be to procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate and then to write, write, write.  I'm now working every day.  That doesn't mean I'm writing 20 pages every day.  That's unrealistic.  But I'm researching or attentively watching TV or taking notes and sometimes I am writing a few pages.  My work day is constant.  And it is one step at a time.  Not no steps then fifty.

I had some other things to take care of.  I am setting up a new website for a new business venture.  I had some meetings and that has led to more meetings.  I needed to get caught up on some TV shows that I had been neglecting.

And now I'm back to working on this play.  I started Act Two.

I am keeping the plates spinning.  I am keeping the trains running.  The irons in the fire.  Then tonight I have to go and produce my boyfriend's internet TV show.

It keeps my brain active.  It keeps me productive.  It keeps me moving.

But that's the hard thing about a creative life.  When you're working from home or if you're cramming writing in after the day job, it's about doing a little bit every day.  And it's about consciously doing something every day.  Even going on a run to clear the mind after a work day and to make room for more thoughts is working on the writing.  As I was telling a friend of mine recently, if you don't look at all of your life as a contribution, then you'll constantly feel pulled in separate directions.  It's not a matter of changing the amount of work you're doing, it's about changing perspective.

And that ain't easy.  Let me tell you.

I am grateful that I am still moving.
I am grateful for momentum.
I am grateful for meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment