Friday, May 1, 2015

Mayday

Another crazy May is in store for me.

Last year, I had three scripts to finish in May. I finished two.

This year…I'm possibly going for another three. Let's see how that pans out. I got out of town last year to get my shit done. That was really fun. I don't have the resources to do that this year, but that's okay. I can learn from the lessons of last year and get my shit together.

I have to figure out this rewrite of the play by May 31st.

I have to write a spec script of Looking for the studio fellowship applications. I've got NBC, WB, and ABC to send stuff off to.

And I would like to at least outline the new reimagining of my pilot. I at least know what the story is.

The funny thing about this week is that I figured out the Looking script, I figured out the new pilot story and I started a new play. The new play will have to wait. I think. Well, nothing ever happens in the order I think it will.

But I do want to give the TV stuff a shot, so I need to write that spec. It's a shorter spec than last year, so I am going to try to do it in two weeks or less. I have no choice but to work on those two things at the same time since they are both due at the same time. Get that in and out of the way.

The good thing is that I have a lot of ideas. The bad thing is that I need to focus. I will have to spend a lot of time trying to make time to get everything done. The important thing is to get my sleep and to focus, focus, focus.

I'm going to cut the play this weekend. Then write the first draft of the spec script next week. Then I'm going to work on the play the following week. Then I'm going to finish up the spec with another draft. Then I'm going to keep working on the play until May 31st. With the spec, I want to get everything in early as possible.

I did it last year. I got the pilot in for Sundance and I finished a proper draft of my play by the 18th of May. Then I took a month to work on the spec House of Cards I wrote. Last year, I wrote something to prove that I could write it. I wasn't focused on getting into these programs. This year, I'm writing about things that speak to my heart and soul. I want this to be a tight script and get me work.

I am grateful for so many things to work on.
I am grateful for the help of old friends.
I am grateful for happy times.
I am grateful for work.
I am grateful for a community of like-minded friends and artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment