Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A December to Remember?

Well, this has been an interesting month and it's only the 2nd.

I got hired for a freelance gig a week ago.
And I got fired today.
Due to circumstances that have nothing to do with me.
But that's just the way that it worked.

So I'm going to take that information this way:

This is going to be an exciting and unpredictable month.

I'm a risktaker.
Right?
That seems to be what I'm telling myself these days.
I have had a year that has been unpredictable.
So why shouldn't the end of the year be that way?

I'm going to take it in stride and accept that the rest of the year will be full of fun, freedom and unpredictability. Because that's all I can do.
I have been in control of my destiny all year
and it's not right to end it with someone else in control of my life.
And it's not a good omen for 2015 either.
I have to leave that in my past.
And getting fired was such a sign of that because I went and did some freelancing for an old boss.
And ran into old problems.
That shouldn't have been a surprise.
But I have moved on from that.
This last experience certainly taught me that.

I'm always looking for the lesson.
And here are the ones that I've come up with:


  • Don't do something only for money.
  • Leave the past in the past.
  • You tell people the way you want to be treated (I can't take credit for that one, that's what my friend Susan told me).
  • There's more out there.
  • Don't give up.
  • Don't settle.
  • Don't become them.
  • Know thyself.
  • Kill them with kindness.
Now they're just sounding like bumper stickers, not lessons.

I don't deserve to be treated like somebody's slave. That's a lesson. And my self-respect can't be traded in for a paycheck. There's another one.

I'm not that person any more. I'm not someone who can stomach being unhappy anymore. The good news is that I'm repellant to that kind of behavior. I was telling someone earlier that the big lesson is that my reaction and response to the environment around me is more important than trying to stay away from bad behavior. It's Hollywood. Bad behavior is fortified and supported. In some cases, it's encouraged. There's nothing I can do to it. All I can do is control my response. That's what I am in control of.

Just as unpredictable this sudden freelance gig was is its short span. Here today, gone tomorrow. Again, that's the unpredictability and excitement of life in play. So all I can do is be playful about it all and get excited for the next unexpected adventure to come.

And it's only Day Two. So I'm counting on this being quite the December to Remember.

I am grateful for unpredictability.
I am grateful for fun.
I am grateful for good friends and inspiration.
I am grateful for the people in my life who bring out the very best in me.
I am grateful for all of my good fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment