Saturday, December 6, 2014

Party Season

Oh, the holiday party season is here.
Cue the Christmas Carols.
Watch your boozing.
Get out your fat pants.
It's time to shake your ass and be a dancing monkey.

Our Playwrights Union had their annual Holiday party on December 1st.
That was a lot of fun. I got to hang out with old friends and drink beers
in Downtown LA. I schmoozed a bit and shook my ass a bit too.
Tonight I think I'm heading to another Holiday party.
This one has a suggested donation, which I think is a bit of a crock,
but it's a good excuse to see friends and
celebrate good Holiday cheer.
We'll see how long I last. Last year's party was very nice.
This year's should be cool too.
But the party I'm really looking forward to is a party I was just invited to
for the best ad agency in the world.
I'm going with my best friend's aunt who works there and who invited me to
be her plus one.
This is a real holiday party.
Free food.
Free booze.
Dancing and tomfoolery.
That's MY type of holiday party.
I don't want to have to bring something.
I don't want to have to donate because it's a "fundraiser."
I don't want to have to buy my own drinks.
I want to get plastered, to be well fed and to be given a voucher
to get my ass home in a town car.
The last part might not happen, although it used to when I worked for another
big ad agency in Portland. That was always a cool thing.
The ad party has a theme: monochromatic.
So I have to go look for an outfit that will be all one color.
I wear a lot of grey, so I could do that with a sparkly silver sequined hat.
I have a pair of aqua blue pants, so I'm thinking of doing different blues.
I have to see what I find.
But I want to mix it up.
Those are the holiday parties I miss.
Back in the day when I used to work in an industry with money.
Being a playwright is absolutely gratifying to my soul,
but not so much when it comes to the quality of holiday parties.
I'm also expecting a special holiday guest,
like a Lady Gaga or a Cher
singing "Silver Bells."
That's on my list this year.

I am grateful for holiday parties.
I am grateful for another wonderful year.
I am grateful for good times and good friends.
I am grateful for places to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment