Monday, December 29, 2014

Getting Ready: Q1 2015

Since I've spent the past two months recovering from the previous ten and refilling my tank, I suppose it's good to really start planning for what I'm going to get done at least in the first quarter of 2015.

January 2015

I have this new play to write. One that absolutely terrifies me. That's funny because I also have a pilot to rewrite that terrifies me. So maybe 2015 is the year of being scared shitless and doing it anyway. I have either a preoccupation or an obsession with death. It's all over these two projects. I never wrote about death before my Dad died. Or I never went after it like I am preparing to do with these two projects. Maybe that's what's scaring me. I can't figure it out. It's paralyzing. And it makes no sense to me, especially after getting so much done earlier this year.

So in January, I'll probably be finishing up the rewrite on the pilot and getting ready to start the new play.

February 2015

That's easy. It's the Playwrights Union Writing Challenge. So I'll be writing a play.

I'm also assuming both the Sundance and Humanitas deadlines will be this month. So the pilot needs to be done by February in order for me to submit.

March 2015

I should be thinking about writing some new spec for these writers fellowships that are coming along. I'm usually writing them the month they are due. Maybe I should take a different approach this year and give myself an ample amount of time to get shit done.

I'll also be rewriting the play and getting it ready for our May festival.

And that's the first part of my year. I'm sure other things will come up. Things I need to attend to. But for now, that's where my year will begin. I'm not going to set a certain amount of scripts I need to write. I'm not going to try and top five in a year. I might even need to go back and rewrite some things that I wrote in 2014. Take another look at my screenplay.

I'm setting myself up for a busy first quarter. But that's good. Set the pace. Get things moving.

I am grateful to get the year started right.
I am grateful to have a plan.
I am grateful to know what I want to work on.
I am grateful for good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment