Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Dear White People? (Not All White People)

I've been reading a lot of posts lately on Facebook from friends who are issuing a challenge. They want the makers of TV, Film and Theatre to acknowledge people of color in the kinds of shows they put on the air. I agree with this. There should be more shows with cast members who represents all colors, shades and types of people. People of color are having a banner year, it seems on TV: How to Get Away With Murder, Black-ish, Jane the Virgin, Fresh Off the Boat and Empire  all made giant splashes in their debut seasons.

We're a trend. And even though most of us have ambivalence about being a trend versus being the standard, we know that in this capitalist, market-driven world trends matter. But we also know that trends usually give way to different trends. Maybe next year it will be the Year of the Woman. Maybe the Year of the Idiot after that. And maybe even Year of the Goat at some point. But here's the question: How do we grow beyond being a trend?

And who determines our trendiness? Something about all of this acknowledgement doesn't sit well with me. And I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Is this the year America finally gets it? So many of us are hoping so. But the shows mentioned have primarily casts of one particular race. Or the subject matter involves one central race. The big exception is the Shondaverse, which does make me happy. And it does look like more multiracial casts are on their way.

I do love this.

But I still have that feeling that we're all waiting around for permission. And we're all desperate to make sure that the trend lasts. But trends don't last.

I've heard folks talk about wanting TV to reflect what exists in the world. In most major cities, there are people of all colors hanging out together. And if they're not hanging out together, all mixed up, then they're all mixed up at work, whether people like it or not.

Here's what I'm not seeing that I think would help.

Casts that look colorful just to be colorful. Because people of all sorts of African, Asian and Latino descents speak English and go to college and fuck around on their spouses and lie and shit their pants and take care of their ailing parents.  That's the world I live in. And I wish the stages and screens reflected that. Especially the stages.

So I'm asking my friends to cast their readings and their play productions with people who aren't always white. When you can. I know…sometimes they have to be white. And sometimes these plays take place in places where there aren't a lot of minorities. And some of these plays are about families. But families have step kids. They have mixed marriages. And here's the thing: You Don't Have to Talk About It. It doesn't necessarily change the dynamic.

Casting Directors need to do the same thing. When I was assisting on a show for USA, we brought in blonde actors and East Indian Actors and Black Actors for the same role.  Even when the role didn't call for "ethnic!" Isn't that amazing?

Really, that's it.

I'm not asking for colorblind.  I'm asking for color-ful.

Make an effort! It would make me feel better. That's enough, right?

Listen, this is an ongoing conversation. But I think that's an easy way to make sure that our productions are colorful all day every day. Not just when a trend comes around and an invitation is sent out. This can happen now. It's really fucking easy.

I am grateful for my voice.
I am grateful for being biracial.
I am grateful for friends who feel me.
I am grateful for time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment