Saturday, February 18, 2017

My New MacBook Pro

My old computer had it.

It was tired of having to be the recipient of all of my creative ideas. Some of the best stuff I've written was written on that guy. I had inherited this computer from my brother and sister-in-law a few years ago when my computer wasn't working and they had this old MacBook that they had spilled water on years before, but only revived when a free replacement keyboard was offered. Then the computer came back to life, but they didn't need it anymore, so they gave it to me.

And it was a godsend. I liked that it was a Mac. I liked that it didn't have a broken keyboard, like mine, which required that i bring a huge keyboard with me wherever I went to write. It got the job done for sure, but I needed something that could be more mobile. Then I got this beautiful white MacBook and brought it with me to coffee shops, libraries, the office I had for a short time. Last year, I had been thinking about getting a new computer. It was probably time. I wanted something of my own. But my brother convinced me to wait - this computer still worked and there would be more advances made with MacBooks in the years to come. Wait until it was worth it - like two or three years, he said.

Then the computer just took longer and longer to work. I kept getting the "pinwheel." Then the magnet on the charger started being fickle and it was hard to charge the computer. I knew old whitey was on her way out. Then the new MacBook Pro came out with the touch pad. I had thought about the MacBook that came out last year, but it looked slight and it was basically a new version of the Air.

Finally, last weekend I went to the Apple Store and thought, "It's time. I have the money. I need it and I'm going to do it." So I did. And I set the computer up this past week. I did the data migration myself and waited five hours while my files transferred to the new computer. Then I opened it and now it's sitting on my lap. It's three pounds. It's Space Grey. It looks great. And now I look like the cool dude when I'm somewhere on the computer.

But that's not why this computer's terrific. It's terrific because it's the first computer I bought for myself as a professional writer. Writing bought this computer. And I'm ready to do more writing on it. I have said that 2016 broke me open as a writer, though the work I've done in the writer's room and on my play. I feel different as a writer now. And I'll be writing my next projects on this new computer. It's appropriate that this different writer is working on a different laptop. I've got this cool new case for it that looks like an envelope. I've stepped up my game professionally and this computer is evidence of that.

Why does all of that matter? Is this just me being in love with looking cool with the new MacBook Pro?

The truth is that I can find a way to get work done. In college, I didn't even have a computer and did all of my work in the computer lab. I wrote plays in the computer lab because I had to. I will find a way to get work done, no matter what. But this new guy makes my life a hell of a lot easier. It's faster. I can do some simple editing on it. And I can finally have my Netflix and HBO Go on here, which I didn't have before. I had everything on my phone.

I feel like I can move faster with this new machine. I'm pretty excited about it. It's the computer I deserve for the work I have been doing. I'm starting to get that.

My intention is to work.
My intention is to expand.
My intention is to keep going.

I am grateful for this new computer.
I am grateful for my friends for their patience and feedback. 
I'm grateful for some time to rest and catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment