Thursday, October 30, 2014

Enough

Earlier today I finished a rewrite of my pilot.

That's five scripts since the end of January, which is nine months. Yes, I can look at that number and remark at how amazing that is. And I do. I appreciate how incredible it is that I wrote five scripts:


  • one full length play
  • one full length screenplay
  • two pilots
  • one spec script
And now it's the end of October. I have two more months left in the year. And frankly, I have other things I need to attend to. I certainly plan to be writing the rest of the year. But I need to work on supporting myself. I've made writing a priority this year in terms of having uninterrupted time to do it. I had an office I worked out of, which helped me in the productivity department. Having a place to go really made a difference. I wrote three of those scripts in that office.

So what do I do with the rest of my year?

Well, for starters, I need to work on this website for my story consulting business. I need to do extensive research for a new play I'm starting in February. And I believe it will take me three months of research to figure out what this play is. The research is so devastating emotionally that I need time to recover while I'm doing research. I actually started this process over the summer.

I have to say that I didn't have a big plan on what I needed to get done this year. I knew I had a play to write this February and I had an idea. I then had an idea for a pilot I wanted to do about the art world. So I wrote that in March, soon after I had finished writing the play. I think I was done by mid-month.  The idea fell out of me. Then I knew that this application was coming up for Sundance TV Labs. I had a reading in May that I needed to prep for and the Sundance Lab deadline was also in May. So I knew I would be rewriting.  Then I decided I wanted to write a spec to submit to the studio fellowships. By mid June I was done with those scripts. I truly had no idea what I would write next. I didn't have any specific pilot ideas. So I started doing research for a new play. I also had an idea for another play that was light that I wanted to write after I finished working on the new play. Then I was asked to submit a screenplay and I didn't have one. But the second play I wanted to work on had a film theme and it seemed better for me to write it as a film. So I did. That was my August. I had set up a TV writing challenge that I was going to run through the Playwrights Union. And that would give me a goal to have something done in October. I had a whole other idea that I was planning on writing. But then I had a fortuitous meeting with someone who had suggested the idea I ended up writing. And that has been my year.

So having no plan for November and December won't necessarily mean I'm not writing. But I am giving myself the time off. I want to fill the tank. I have so many films in my Netflix queue to catch up on that I would almost be totally satisfied to just spend the next two months clearing out my queue. I'm kind of spent in my output. I just want to take information in. If something comes that I absolutely need to write then absolutely I will. But that's not my priority.

I am hoping that I make room for other opportunities. Like jobs. I need to get back to my meditation practice. I've been subbing for a friend of mine in her screenwriting classes. I would love if the rest of the year was about getting paid to teach. That would be wonderful.

I'm ready to see what's out there and to not have a plan, but to be open.

I am grateful for all of the writing I have accomplished this year.
I am grateful for the love of my partner.
I am grateful for quiet time.
I am grateful for my meditation practice.
I am grateful for happiness.
I am grateful for food.

No comments:

Post a Comment