Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Process of Productivity

Two years ago I made a commitment to a writing schedule that would be rigorous enough to get me ready to write on a high level. And I was successful in that. I wrote eight scripts in two years. And now in this third year, I have a pretty rigorous work schedule. In January, I wrote a rewrite of a pilot. Then in February I wrote a new play because I needed a distraction after finishing a play that took over my life for a year. A friend of mine reminded me that I sacrificed everything to get that play done. I sacrificed my time and ultimately my relationship. Thankfully, that play got me a TV job and a new manager. Now the work begins on getting me an agent and making me competitive in this work place. 

Am I ready for that? I don't know. I know that I like being productive. I like producing a lot of original material. I think staffing is a part of that learning process for me. I do need to be staffed on a broadcast, cable or streaming show. I know that the process will be even more rigorous, but this is the level that the people I want to be standing toe to toe are operating at. 

I also know that if I smooth out my edges, I won't be competitive. I have to staff in order to understand the rigor and the requirements of working at such a high level. But I also have to be writing and getting my plays produced in order to keep my sensibilities awake and alive. The creative without the competitive means that I'm not pushing myself to tell stories faster, learner, and clearer. The competitive without the creative means that I'm not writing to what personally and uniquely makes me an interesting writer. I'm making some observations about my fellow writers - not just in my room - but all around me. When people don't have a "creative outlet" - i.e. when they're not writing their own original material that does not have to do with just writing spec pilots and samples specifically for the purpose of selling or getting jobs, then what they're writing for work or to get work becomes their creative outlet. They need to have ownership of that material because it validates the work they're putting into it. I'm learning that TV writing is pure craft, it's pure athleticism and endurance. You need endurance and athleticism in order to be able to accomplish certain things. A dancer or choreographer can have passion, heart and creativity, but without that sheer ability, the movement isn't articulated as best as it can be. TV writing is pure, direct, muscular linear storytelling. It's the kind of storytelling that's impressive. It's the effort and skill that allows one to execute a triple turn or a grande jette. There's a pure physicality that needs to be impressive. TV writing is that. But without the soul the movement doesn't mean anything. And that soul is the creative part of our being. Writers have a lot to accomplish in order to be amazing. I will always choose a passionate dancer over a technically perfect one. But when I see technical perfection, I can't help but be impressed by it. And when I see both…that's magic.

That's the magic I want to get to in my writing. So the technical jobs I take have to do with achieving that level of skill. But if I don't take that back to my pilot writing, then my pilots can't be as effective as I need them to be in order to get me jobs. 

Hard work is one thing.
Practical experience is another.
Learning the skill of writing is something entirely different.
And the magic, undefinable "it" is yet another thing.
All of these skills need to be working in tandem in order to achieve the great stuff.
Will I ever get there? Eventually. 
As long as I can get paid to get better, then I'll be happy.

I am grateful for the rigor of my writing life right now.
I am grateful for the improvement that comes from doing it and doing it a lot.
I am grateful that I am being challenged.
I am grateful for the time necessary to get better.
I am grateful for work.
I am grateful for multiple projects that are keeping me busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment