Monday, September 8, 2014

Office vs. Studio

Right now, I have an office that I share with my friend Tim.  We are wonderful partners in work.  We have this intuition with each other I think that really fits who we are as creative types.  We are there to be supportive of one another, but at the same time neither one of us feels hugely compelled to talk constantly. It's enough that we're in the same room together in desks that are side by side.

I love my office.  I love what we have created.

But I want a studio.

When I was a child, I thought I would be a fashion designer.  I loved fashion.  I wasn't really that talented at it, but I had a passion for it.  But what I loved most in watching the fashion television shows as a kid was watching the designers in their ateliers.  I remember watching the documentary Unzipped about Isaac Mizrahi as a kid and watching him sketch and work in his studio.  I loved the feelings of that, the think tank quality of it all.  I think that's why I liked working in advertising for the brief amount of time I did because it felt so creative in the idea making process.

I have a cork board and I have a dry erase board in my office.  I have books.  I have notecards and notepads.  But it would be great to have a bigger idea board and it would be great to print out research and have lots of folders.  A couch and a reading area.  A meeting space.

I've been watching a lot of fashion documentary pieces on You Tube today and all of these designers have their studios where they work.  They have these larger offices where they create.  Yes, their work is more visual than mine in certain ways.  It's certainly product oriented.  But I want a place where I can set up Apple TV and watch my Netflix and internet stuff on the TV. I want to be able to watch movies there.  I want it to feel more like my space.

I guess now that I have something that's wonderful, I want to expand on it.  And that's great.  Dream bigger.

And "I'm going to my writing studio" sounds so much cooler.

I can always just refer to my office as the studio.  Dream bigger.

I am grateful for a work space.
I am grateful for a wonderful office mate.
I am grateful to be surrounded with more and more writers.
I am grateful to be seen as a productive and prolific writer.
I am grateful to have somewhere to go to every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment