Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Resistance Training

One of my favorite Inspiration Books is The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. His follow up, Turning Pro is also very good and a deepening of his message. The big concept in that book is Resistance, the force that creeps up when we're trying to achieve something worthwhile. Resistance takes a lot of forms: negative thought, distraction, anger, insecurity, sex, money, instant gratification. And the force of Resistance seems to be the strongest when we're really close to achieving something. That's when it's at its zenith.

As I was writing my last blog post, I wrote down a phrase: Resistance Training. I love resistance training in the context of exercise. You're using oppositional force in order to strengthen your muscles. I think this concept also applies to Pressfield's definition of Resistance. You have to have an awareness of that opposition in order to fight against it. And every time you fight against it and succeed, you come on stronger. So that the Resistance has to be even greater in order for you to continue to grow. So maybe the Resistance seemed less earlier in your life because you hadn't achieved as much. But the the more you achieve, the greater the force of Resistance gets. Every time you overcome Resistance, that force has to become stronger so that it's a challenge. If you're exercising, you're not going to do the same amount of weight forever because you wouldn't be getting anything out of it. It stops being effective. And if it gets too easy and you're bored, you stop doing it. That's actually where Resistance can also strike. If you're not engaged and you don't have to push, you stop pushing and Resistance wins because you gave up.

It's so easy to see Resistance as this immovable force and this pain in the ass. But it's also what forces growth. There are people who say that their greatest teachers have been the ones who have hurt them the most. In Kabbalah, they talk about how people who challenge you teach you the most and that's actually the purpose of spiritual relationships.

I'm trying to adopt a philosophy of wanting to be challenged. It's why I've given myself at least one new challenge a month this year. Those challenges will change. Those challenges won't always be about writing. But they'll be about growth. My three Challenges this month are:


  • Rewrite something I wrote last year.
  • Go vegan and sober.
  • Find new representation.
And I'm taking steps to make that happen. I am:

  • Writing every day.
  • Looking at the original script. Taking notes.
  • Researching and reading books on the topic.
  • Eating oatmeal every morning.
  • Taking psyllium husk every morning.
  • Cooking.
  • Drinking lots of water and teas.
  • Sending out my material to potential reps.
  • Emailing contacts that might have referrals for me.
  • Meeting up with people.
  • Reaching it out, even it it feels uncomfortable.
  • Starting the day quiet.
  • Ending the day quiet.
Resistance will always be there. And I have to push against it instead of letting it overpower me. But it has and will continue to make me stronger and better. And if I put more Challenges in front of me, more opportunities for growth, then I will grow faster and stronger than I would have without those Challenges. Building muscles means that you're in a constant state of soreness. But that also means you're working hard.

I am grateful for Hard Work.
I am grateful for Spiritual Growth.
I am grateful for this blog.
I am grateful for good ginger tea.
I am grateful for vegan tacos.
I am grateful for the abundance of love in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment