Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Next Steps

Every day since the new moon, I have been doing something productive towards my career. According to my horoscope, I am setting my intention for the rest of the year by doing this. I have had lunches, caught up with old friends and colleagues, connected with some new friends and colleagues and done work towards setting up the next year of my career. 

I had drinks with my friend Christopher last night, someone who used to live here and not lives in New York. I knew him in my other life where I worked for someone powerful and I dated someone powerful and had little time for myself. This was the life where I apologized for who I am. This is the life I am healing myself from. He looked as good as always. He's a new dad. We talked about the changes that had happened in both of our lives since we last spoke. I talked about my new perspectives. We talked about work, but not in a way that felt forced. Whenever he was in town, I always made a play to try to make a connection or have a business interaction. He said that he could tell over the past few years from my Facebook posts that I was a calmer person because my posts were calmer. I smiled. It's funny that a friend could notice the changes in me just from my Facebook posts. We talked about how I had changed. 

We spoke about my involvement with my theatre company and the friend I had just lost. I said that I was really curious about directing and that I would be directing a reading of a friend's play. He looked at me and said, "I think that's your next direction. I can tell from the way you talk about it." I've acknowledged to myself that I'm curious about it, but I didn't think about it in any grander way than that. But I had been thinking about it. I had to co-direct a short play I wrote recently out of necessity. When I mentioned that to a friend, he suggested I direct a workshop of his. We're going to do that. And now I have someone I really respect confirm that's an area I should look into.

I had coffee with my friend Elizabeth the other day. She's an upper level TV writer/producer and she's got a lot of expertise. She looked me in the eye and said, " Do you want to work in network television?" I said YES. She thinks there's a path for me to do that.

A lot of votes of confidence lately. And I know what I need to do. I need to work on the pilot rewrite I'm working on. I need to start thinking about this new play. I will be taking over the writers group for my theatre company temporarily while one of our members is out of town doing a play. I've had ideas about that for awhile. I'm excited to implement them. We'll be building on what we've been working on for the past almost two years. I'm thrilled for that.

As I head into the last two months of the year, I know that there are some definite possibilities for me next year. I have been offered two classes in the Winter/Spring. I  am going to Vancouver in February for my birthday. I'm moving. I've got a lot of plans for the first half of the year. I made a plan to write four pilots next year. I'm going to be busy. Lots of changes ahead. Lots to look forward to.

My intention is expansion.
My intention is self-healing.
My intention is compassion.

I am grateful for the support of a growing community.
I am grateful for places to call home.
I am grateful for friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment