Saturday, January 4, 2014

Why Can't We Be More Like Musicians?

My boyfriend is a Drummer.  I LOVE music.  I have been listening to all sorts of music my whole life. Here's a sample of my iTunes library:

"When Smokey Sings" by ABC
"We're in This Love Together" by Al Jarreau
"Queen Bee" by Barbra Streisand
"Chango's Dance" by Bobby Matos
"Satisfied" by Cee Lo Green
"Malibu" by Hole
"Spotlight" by Jennifer Hudson
The Entire Eli and the Thirteenth Confession album by Laura Nyro
The 20/20 Experience by Justin Timberlake
Crying (with Roy Orbison) by k.d. lang
"Losing My Mind" by Liza
Mariah Carey
Mel Torme
N.E.R.D.
Neil Diamond
Pink
Patti Smith
Patty Smyth
Robyn
Rufus Wainwright
Shelby Lynne

Whenever I play something for him, he tends to enjoy it.  He tends to be surprised.  He appreciates the MUSIC.  A guitar solo, a percussion moment, a bass line.

Whenever I look on Facebook, I see a constant barrage of criticism from writer friends who can't stand something…anything.  It's like if they don't like some thing about a play, TV show, movie, documentary, etc. then they've dismissed all of it.

Done.
Forget About It.
You're Dead to Me.

I get it.  We go to graduate school and we're taught to be critical, so we feel like we need to dismiss everything.  It's not like I don't have a critical thought.  I had things to say about August: Osage County.  But I love forms of entertainment from the Real Housewives to Getting On on HBO.  I consume it all and enjoy a lot of it.  I don't just dismiss something just to turn my nose up at it.  It's snobbery.

Yes…that's a judgmental thing to say and how dare I!  But the judgment on the other end is so severe and unnecessary that it turns me off.  And it tends to be from people who post on Facebook endlessly.  People who could be spending their talents making the great plays, musicals, films and TV shows they want to see.

Again, I'm a dancer:

http://creativityinrealtime.blogspot.com/2013/10/im-dancer.html

I'm just going to go back listening to the new Lady Gaga/Christina Aguilera version of "Do What U Want."

Ridiculous.
Silly.
Amazing.

A frivolous pop culture moment that's as important as anything and nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment