Thursday, January 16, 2014

Take a Cue from Synchronicity

When my friend Susan did my tarot cards last month, one of the the cards that described my Atmosphere said I needed to "take a cue from synchronicity."  And the meetings I had today were evidence of that.

Two weekends ago, a friend had asked me if I would go and be in a party scene in a web series she was directing.  I figured why not.  She's a friend of mine.  She is a director I work with and I want to support a friend.  So I went and met some great people from it.  One of those people is a young, sweet-faced guy who was working on a project to do theatre in people's living rooms. He asked if I had anything and I sent him a play, the first scene of which I thought would work.  We agreed to meet up for coffee.

The moment we sat down we started chatting about a new play I'm working on about a Jesuit priest.  I mention that I taught at Santa Clara.  He tells me he went to Loyola of Chicago and to high school at Bellermine, the boys Jesuit High School in San Jose.  Synchronicity.  Then we started talking more about our lives' experiences and found we had a lot in common.  I liked talking to him.  He was a sweetheart and really a great person to chat with.  I hope we'll work on something together.

Then I had a conference call with Portland State about bringing me up to work with some of their students.  First of all, this came about because of a random meeting I had with the head of the theatre department during a theatre festival I happened to be in town for when I went to visit my brother in July.  Synchronicity.  Then we met up in December and chatted about a program she wants to start.  Then some student organizers met with her to talk about ideas for a guest speaker they could bring up to work with their students.  She thought of me and now it looks like I'll be in Portland in April for work, which happens to be when my brother and his wife are expecting their third child.  Synchronicity.  It would be fitting that someone in the family would be up there.

I was having a conversation with my friend Clayton the other day about how I have been putting myself out there for opportunities to arrive.  I can't just wait for things to happen.  I need to be working in order to be ready when an opportunity comes my way.  Even when it doesn't seem like it's going to pay off.  And now I'm getting paid to go do workshops with the students.  I think that's just a sign that I need to continue doing work and putting myself out there.

Let's keep this momentum going.

I am grateful for new friends.
I am grateful for new opportunities.
I am grateful that I will be going to Portland for work and to meet my new nephew.
I am grateful that my niece was asking about me the other day and wants me to come back to visit.
I am grateful that I have a supportive boyfriend who encourages me.

No comments:

Post a Comment