Saturday, January 4, 2014

The State of Art (or at least Playwriting)

I'm doing some freelance script reading for a theatre in town for a festival they have coming up.  Being a playwright and reading plays is a tricky proposition.  There are often feelings of…

They're producing THAT piece of shit!
I have a whole stack of plays that rule while theirs drool!

Or some mature response like that.  So far I only have read one play that really leapt off the page for me.  And it was the play I just read.

But most of the stuff I read just wasn't very good.  That's always the case when you have to narrow things down.  The funny thing is that I'm really good that this sort of thing.  I used to do it for seven years when I worked for a company that was looking for playwrights who wanted to work in TV.  I got pretty good at figuring out what kind of work would translate.

I was walking with Susan yesterday and we were talking about these plays I was reading.  I told her that it could have made me feel bitter and angry that my plays weren't being produced by this theatre.  But I went back to that day in the dance studio back in October.

http://creativityinrealtime.blogspot.com/2013/10/im-dancer.html

Reading these plays has made me even more secure in doing my own thing while everything else is going on around me.  The only way to get noticed is to be purely me.  And that's the only way I can really be happy.

What is happening to me?  I went from being a blindly ambitious person who wanted success at all costs, including flip flopping and constantly changing himself to please an anonymous majority to this:

I'm fine with being me.

Go on with your bad self.

No comments:

Post a Comment