Thursday, January 2, 2014

The First Writing Session of the Year

Productivity.

Isn't that the first order of the New Year?  It is for those of us who constantly have projects they're working on.  That's what those of us who work from home want to focus on.

I want to be productive.
My eyes are droopy.
I got some hot tea for that.
I'm listening to Bette Midler on iTunes.
I took out my computer and started typing out a blog entry.
Now it's Beyonce.  "Crazy in Love."
My foot is tapping.
This is what writing professors tell you to do.
Just start writing.  Don't think about it.
Now the chorus: choreographing dance steps in my head.
Blood flowing.
Head bopping.
I hope I'm not disturbing the two guys sitting behind us,
telling me and my friend Andrea to take our conversation
elsewhere when we were just catching up.
But we're at the library.
I get it.
I would do the same thing if the
shoes were reversed
on the table was on the other foot.
What to write today?
It's the beginning of the year.
2014.
That makes me nervous because there's so
much expectation.
But it's also the start of something versus
the end of something.
That's why 40 is better than
39 or 38 (even 37).
So January…
Better than November?
Depends on the November.
More Beyonce.  "Why Don't You Love Me?"
I like the live version better.
But that's true of all live versions of all songs.
For the most part.
I love this library.
There's an entire bank of windows
that look out into the street below:
the Pacific Design Center across the
street and the Citibank on the corner,
the hills and the homes that float
above.  There's a guy of non-disernable
ethnic origin (like myself) who
has his button down shirt
open one too many buttons open
that balances that line between
sexy and maybe too drunk in the morning
to care.
It's hot either way.
But he's probably just a writer.
He took out an expensive laptop
from his bag and turned his back
to me.
I think I might be warmed up enough.
Bobby Matos.  Latin Jazz.
Like a warrior call with horns and
percussion.  Bongos.

No comments:

Post a Comment