Thursday, July 10, 2014

City of Books

One of my favorite things to do when I'm in Portland is to go to Powell's bookstore and just wander around.  I know that I'll always find something good.  Since there are lots of books on sale, used books and a huge selection of recommendations I know that I'll always find something.

I only had a few hours before I had to be at the airport, so I had to make this trip fast.

The first book I see is called The Freelancer's Bible.  All right.  It's on sale.  Getting it.

So I stroll in further and immediately I see The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.  I read it for the first time about 8 years ago.  It was given to me by my Ex who insisted that I read it.  And with all of the work I've been doing on myself and being productive in my office, it made sense that it's the first  book I saw.  I can't find my copy, so I pick one up.  Anyway, if I ever find the one or two copies that I already own, I'll give them away.

Then I see The Mindfulness Survival Kit by Thich Nhat Hanh.  I grab that.

Then it's upstairs to the drama section.  But instead of plays, I hit the rock music section and grab a copy of The Last Party by Anthony Haden Guest and two more books catch my eye.  Love Goes to Buildings on Fire, which is about the burgeoning punk, hip hop and disco scenes in New York in the mid 1970s, an era I am fascinated with.  And There Goes Gravity: a life in Rock n Roll by Lisa Robinson, a very well known rock journalist.

I sit down with the books.  I want to get them all, but I probably shouldn't.  I have too many books to read as it is.  I put down The Mindfulness Survival Kit, Love Goes to Buildings on Fire and There Goes Gravity.  I take pictures of the covers and will get them on Amazon.

I finished my copy of This Is Where I Leave You, which I had been trying to read for three years.  It was terrific.  The movie comes out at Christmas.

The books I purchase go into my luggage and travel back with me to California.  I am already two thirds of the way through rereading The War of Art.  I can't wait to read more.

If I lived closer to Powell's City of Books, I would be in there all of the time and I would never get anything done except reading.

When you come to think about it, that's not such a bad thing.

You have to refill the tank some time.

I am grateful for books.
I am grateful for sales.
I am grateful for my curiosity.
I am grateful for my fast reading skills.
I am grateful for time off.
I am grateful for good weather.
I am grateful for great friends.
I am grateful to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment