Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A Fellow Warrior that I Knew from the Weeds

When chefs are in a kitchen during service and they're in deep trouble, they call that being in the weeds.

I used to work for a pretty high powered guy in town and one of his biggest clients was a huge TV show runner.  One of his assistants over the years has become a good friend of mine, my friend Kevin.  Kevin and I usually try to get together once or twice a year just to catch up and shoot the shit.  We were both assistants together and know what that experience is like.  We have always had each other's back on the job.  So years after that experience, it's nice to still be in touch.

We got together over beers the last night.  Kevin's one of those guys in town who I responded to right away.  He had this big deal job, but he was a cool, kind, friendly guy from the start.  He's a good egg.  No bullshit.  No pretense.  No power play.  Just a great guy who also sees all of that stuff and walks away from it.

He's a hoofer. He's a chorus girl.  He's one of those working writers who's just at it constantly.  He's an inspiration.

He's a reminder to keep at it on a daily basis.  Find your routine.  Find your practice and stick to it.

He's pitching ideas.  He's got an agent and a manager.  He's living life according to his own rules.  He's inspired by the work, but he isn't in a desperate place to make it happen.  He's the definition of "slow and steady wins the race."  He's committed.  That's one of the things I've always liked about Kevin.

And so it was fun to see him last night.  It was fun to laugh and to reminisce a bit about our times in the weeds.  And it was nice to know that he had made it out just fine.  We're veterans, I guess.

I am grateful to have true friends.
I am grateful to have people who are happy for me.
I am grateful to have genuine people to look to.
I am grateful to have what I need right now to write.
I am grateful to know what's good for me.
I am grateful to have a warm tea in my future.
I am grateful to have my office coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment