Thursday, July 17, 2014

Someone's Brother Who's Visiting from Out of Town

That's how I feel sitting in this office.

Well…

It's not how I feel, but maybe how I feel others might feel about me.  Everyone's so well-dressed here in this suite of offices.  Today, I basically rolled out of bed after a late night, in a pair of long royal blue shorts and a long sleeved yellow and gold Nike jersey.  I look a little ridiculous.

Maybe I'll get more dressed up next week.  At least a sweater.  It gets frigid in this office with the air conditioning blasting above me.  Although, I shouldn't complain.  When I was here last week, it was stuffy.  So this is a much better alternative.  It reminds me of how I like my hotel rooms.  Like a meat locker. So I can then wrap myself up in the sheets and comforter. That's why I'm drinking hot tea.  It warms me up on the inside so that I don't have to wear a parka.

But I should show up a little bit better dressed.  This is my office.  I need to take it seriously, right?

At least I'm getting things done.  I just read 120 pages of a book that I might be using as research for a possible TV project.  I like the idea of the book, if not the book entirely.  It's cool though.

I wrote down some other ideas on note cards earlier as well.  I have to come up with five ideas for my friend Alanna and I to work on together.  We had so much fun working together on the sketches we wrote that I really want to do it again.  This time on a TV script that would star her.  I gave the two of us the challenge to come up with five new TV ideas each.  No bullshit.  Nothing that seems obvious.  I want us both to stretch ourselves a bit.

And then I have some pages I should write for my writer's group this weekend.  I told them I'd have ten pages.  Right now, I have no pages.  I'm not worried about it.  But it would be great to write some new stuff towards this new play.  I have four monologues I'm going to try and write to describe four of my characters.

I've been here since 10, so leaving at 3 is about 5 hours worth of work.  Not bad.  I think that's a good amount of productivity for the day.

Tomorrow I won't be at the office.  I have a lunch and then meeting my friend Jenn to write.  A little off campus work, which will be nice.

But I'm buzzing with some ideas.  Not putting any pressure on myself at this stage.  But I had 2 of 5 ideas for the TV projects.  The other three will come at some point.  But I like what I have so far.  It'll be fun to see what else comes up.

So I guess the lesson is, even if you think I'm visiting but not staying…

Don't judge a book by its cover.

I am grateful for five hours of work.
I am grateful for reading 120 pages without falling asleep.
I am grateful for a good day.
I am grateful to see a colleague later today for a meet up.
I am grateful for time with my best friend later.
I am grateful for meetings and meet ups.
I am grateful to just be taking things slow after writing so much.
I am grateful to be filling my tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment