Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Real Break

I have been up in Portland for the past five days not writing.

That might seem weird considering that the past six months have been ALL ABOUT WRITING.  Well, kind of.

I didn't write much in January or in April.
I wrote a shit ton in February, although probably during a couple of weeks there.
And I wrote a shit ton in March, but that was only during two weeks.
Then May was busy throughout.
And June was busy for the first half of the month.

I've been doing a lot of researching.  And reading.  Just filling the tank.

And I have been seeing friends.  And I took my niece out today for the whole day.  She didn't go to school.  I didn't work.  We had a true day off.  And it was wonderful.  And necessary.  I have plenty to go back to when I get back to town.  I have a new office to set up.  I have a lot of things to do.

But I need to take this break seriously.  And I have.  I went to dance class today.  I ran for a half hour.  And I worked out.  I'm going on a hike and I'm hanging out with a good friend all day.  Then I'm going out for drinks with my brother.  And Thursday I think I'm just going to spend the day by myself, wandering around the city.  Maybe going out to a nude beach.  Just having a romance with myself until I have to be back at the airport to drop my car off.

I have been reading This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper, which I'm loving.  I decided to take a break from my research because it's depressing me.  But I have been thinking about this new play, for sure.

I haven't been meditating, so I need to get back to that.

I went to a Scandinavian spa alone on Sunday where I was by myself the whole time.  It was nice to sit in stillness and try to find my center.

But I have been resting and hanging out and eating well.  A recharge.  That's what I needed.  The last time I was here was in April for work.  So I'm more than happy to be here for fun.  And it's never enough time.  Never ever.

I love watching my niece be serious, almost too serious for her age.  Exactly like me.  I love watching her tell me that I need to focus in dance class.

I love watching my nephew be so rough with people and then laughing his ass off about it.  He's a bit mad.  And I love that.  He's also two and a half years old.  So being mad is somewhat allowed.

And my other nephew who is only three months old just watches it happen, maybe knowing what's happening or not.  But definitely a calm presence in the middle of a brother and sister who are in such admiration of each other and who are antagonizing each other every chance they get.  It's incredible.

All three of those little spirits are inspiring.  I see sparks of creativity in them, sparks of genius, sparks of pure joy.  I hope those sparks cause a fire that will burn deeply in them forever.

When I go back to work next week, in my very own office, I know I will have been inspired.

This break is much deserved.

I am grateful for time off.
I am grateful to be somewhere else.
I am grateful for a whole day to spend with my niece.
I am grateful for a whole day to spend with my friend Andrea.
I am grateful for a whole day to spend with myself.
I am grateful for the time to write this blog post.
I am grateful for great meals today.
I am grateful for ice cream that makes it feel like summer.
I am grateful for Portland, a town that I know so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment