Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Just Do It. Again.

I'm nearing the end of my production cycle for the year - for the most part. I have been hugely productive this year, writing over 1500 pages so far. That number will probably increase before December 31st. But everything I wanted to get done, I have. I have gotten five full length scripts written this year. I could just kick back and relax. Except I'm horrible with free time.

My college professor, Mark Dickerman, said to me after I wrote my very first screenplay - "Very good. Now write the next one." I'm sure many of us who went to graduate school or college were told the same thing by our professors. It's always as simple and as complicated as Just Do It. And now I need to Just Do It. Again.

I finished the rewrite of a pilot two days ago - much sooner than I expected to finish it. I had a deadline for myself and I reached that deadline early. Now I have the chance to do another pass. My closest writer friends gave me notes in 24 hours - by special request - and now I'm armed with a bunch of notes and I'm ready to tackle the next rewrite. I still want to turn that into my manager in six days.

During my "day off", I had a conversation with my manager about an agent who was interested in reading another play of mine for possible representation. We touched base about the material I had handed over to him and we discussed next steps. He said, "I need to have another pilot from you." Another one! For Christ's sake! Another hoop to jump through. "Great. I just finished one last night. I'm taking another pass and I'll have it to you next week."

Just Do It. Again.

After I stopped my internal whining, I remembered that I have another script ready to give him. And that was my goal. I was pissed a few weeks ago that it had been two months since I sent him two new scripts. I knew that whining wasn't going to do shit for me. So I decided to combine intentions: I needed to finish this pilot rewrite and I needed to push my manager to read. My goal became to finish the script by Oct 31st, so I could say to him - "I have a new script, but I don't want to hand it over until we discuss the two other scripts I sent." And I got the first pass at the rewrite done in four days. I had a solid outline I had been sitting on and hadn't had the chance to script out because of other obligations - like my play workshop, teaching and being on set. It did the trick. I got the script done and we had a conversation that was forced because he wanted to talk yesterday after I told him about the agent interest.

I had lunch with my best friend Cory today and we talked about stuff we need to do. We both need to maybe write one more pilot before staffing season in the Spring. That means having something ready by Jan/Feb. Oy! Here we go again.

Just Do It. Again.

Stop whining already! So we talked about getting together with two other writers we have an informal men's creative group with and doing an evening of drinking and tossing around our ideas. I think we'd each be into that. Cory's thought was having each writer do five two-minute pitches. And then we'd discuss. That's a full day. That's 20 two-minute pitches if all of us do five each. But I admire the ambition and I'd like to push myself. I'm not working on a show right now and I want to. I want to staff again and I need new material to do it.

I was thinking about next year's "challenge" for myself. This year I decided to make the Year of Challenges - having a different month-long goal each month. The Year of Challenges got sidetracked by employment, which I'd rather have. But I still got five scripts written and rewritten. Almost every month I worked on a different script.

  • January - pilot rewrite
  • February - new play
  • March - outline and script #1, outline pilot rewrite
  • April - outline and script #2
  • May - more script #2, outline second pilot rewrite
  • June - nothing
  • July - outline second pilot rewrite again, production
  • August - ten minute play, full length play rewrite and workshop, second pilot rewrite, production
  • September - outline first pilot rewrite again
  • October - produce play festival, pilot rewrite
  • November -
  • December -
Some months I managed more than others. But every day this year I have been thinking about a script I need to be writing. I don't have anything scheduled in November and December. That's because I really wanted a break. But it's probably best for me not to take one. Also to note: in January-April, and September-December, I also taught. I'm teaching now - the year's not over yet. I've juggled a lot this year.

Just Do It. Again?

Yeah. Again. And again and again and again. Keep doing it. Don't stop. I have a play I'm thinking about writing in November and December. At least starting. And I need to start the process of putting together this new play.

After that, I have no new play ideas. I can rewrite the play throughout the year and even have a reading and a workshop through the theatre company. There's a play I sent them for a space we have in 2018. If they're interested in that play, then maybe I'll be rewriting that play next year.

But what I want to focus on is writing TV pilots all next year. Unless I get staffed or develop, then I'll be happy to write less. Or none.

Here's the thought on next year's over all challenge: Write four pilots. From scratch. No new plays all year. Just rewrites. But all new pilots. That's one every quarter. So I'd do a quarterly challenge. Outline for a month. Write for a month. Rewrite for a month. Let's see how that settles into the old brain.

Just Do It! Again!

I'm leaving the year open for possibilities. But I am getting restless and I want to have another clear goal for next year. The goal for now is to get staffed. And that will continue if I don't get staffed in the last two months of the year. :) I have to keep moving forward. It keeps my mind on the work and off of other people.

Just Do It. Because you know you can. Again!

I give myself these challenges to motivate myself. I have NO IDEAS for pilots at all for next year. I hope to get something done! That would be nice. This year I got into the Writer's Guild and staffed for the first time. What will next year bring?

My intention is to be clear.
My intention is to focus on my goals.
My intention is to breathe, relax and enjoy.

I am grateful for long lunches in Boyle Heights.
I am grateful for street traffic on Whittier Blvd, trying to get home.
I am grateful there's so much good TV to watch.
I am grateful to be inspired by my friends and my community.
I am grateful that I get to type at my lap top every day and call it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment