Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Week Ends

Back when I used to go to someone else's office and put in my time, I used to hate weekends.  It felt like Friday evening came and then it was just a countdown until Monday came rolling around again.  Then each day was another step towards Friday.

My weekends were jammed with things I needed to get done that I didn't have the time or energy for before.

Now that I go into my own office, my feelings about the weekends have changed.  I work my ass off during the week writing.  This month, I have a screenplay I'm working on for a deadline.  So every day is focused in some way. By the time I leave the office at 5 or 6 every night, I'm ready to be done with work.  I can put it away.  Although tonight, I have been been putting notes together on another project I'm getting ready to write in October.  But the prep work is massive before the month long writing session.  I also have been watching documentaries tonight for that other project.  I also did work on loading up scripts for our October writing challenge.  So I probably came home and did another 3 hours worth of work.

But sometimes work has to happen in the evening and on the weekends.  I don't mind it if it doesn't happen all of the time.

For me, I'm happy to put it behind me this weekend.  I finally have a full weekend to just not work on the screenplay.  Although, I have scripts that I'm getting paid to read that I need to read on the weekend so that I don't interfere with my writing.

I know myself.  When I have more full time work for pay, it's hard to write on a full schedule.  So since I'm not doing that right now, I have to take advantage of my rested mind and spirit.  And work!

It's funny how work structures my life.  I don't drink much during the week.  I don't do anything that will impair my judgment or my energy.  It's like when I was training for the marathon years ago.  I would have massive training runs on Saturday mornings, so Friday nights were mellow.  And if they weren't, I would be suffering.

One of the things I love about having an office, besides having my own space, is that my time is managed differently.  I can compartmentalize my writing and other types of work I need to be doing.  It's pretty fantastic.  I actually feel on schedule for the first time in my life.

I know what projects I'll be working on for the rest of the year.  So all I have to do is show up.

I've earned my exhaustion.  I even ran and meditated twice today.  I didn't think I'd be able to attend to both my work and my body when I was this busy.  It hasn't happened before.  But it all energizes me.  It's a good thing.

And now I know what I'll be working on come Monday, Act Three of the screenplay.  But hopefully that won't be more than 15ish pages.  Then I can get to the work of cutting the script down.  Oy!

I am grateful that I had so much energy today.
I am grateful that I got two meditations in.
I am grateful that I got work done on my pilot, even though that's not the priority this month.
I am grateful that the spiritual work is happening too.
I am grateful that people are seeing me as productive, prolific and pro-writer.
I am grateful that I am now in bed and barely keeping my eyes open.

No comments:

Post a Comment