Friday, August 22, 2014

To The Point of Exhaustion

I have been going, going, going for the past two weeks.
I guess for the past THREE weeks if you count writing the outline for this screenplay.
Or really, the past eight months (of this year) where I've written a lot of stuff.

I'm tired.

And I'm exhilarated.

Which means…I'm surprised.

Work finished for me around 4:30 yesterday.  Officially.  I stayed in the office until 6:00 doing other work, while my friend David (my guest co-host yesterday) worked on a pitch.  I got in at 9:15 that morning.  So I guess I put in about a 7 hour work day.

I came home, not really knowing what to do.  I watched Project Runway.  I wanted to watch The Way Way Back, but it wasn't on HBO Go (I think it was at some point).  So I read a play and did some coverage for a theatre I'm doing some reading for.  I feel asleep after Act One.  Then work up to read Act Two and to write the coverage.

I was tired, but I couldn't stop.  I couldn't quiet the mind.  And right now, my mind does need to be somewhat quiet.

I'm at page 71 of this script.

What is the point of exhaustion?

Because after I finish this screenplay and get it into decent shape by September 5th for a submission, I've got more work to do.  September is going to be about prepping a pilot I'm writing in October and about rewriting the play I wrote in February and rewrote and had a reading of in May.  I've got Fall Submissions coming up.   Then October is about the TV/Film Writing Challenge that I'm coordinating for the Playwrights Union.  In November I need to pick up the play I was researching in June and July. And in December, I plan on rewriting the pilot I wrote for the challenge.  I might not even start writing this new play until the new year, which means I've got my next play for the Playwrights Union 2015 Play Writing Challenge.

I am not complaining about productivity.  I am excited about it and grateful for it.  I came up with 9 pitches for pilots last month, so I know that I have more projects to work on even after that.  And I've got a few other play ideas that are swimming in my head, as well as rewrites that will be happening.  So even though it's not all mapped out, I've got my 2015 booked as well.

To what end?

I'm just worrying about the work right now.  I know that I'm enjoying being busy and having ideas.  I love having legitimate excuses to watch lots of TV and movies and read a lot of books.  Like I've said previously, I am operating as a Production Company.  So when the money comes a calling', the factory is fully open and operational and Investors can pump money into something that's already up and running.  Readymade.

I'm not worried about the money.  And that's a scary thing to admit semi-publicly.  But it's the work that's the reward.  And the work is good and exciting.  I'm not scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas.  That's something substantial to be grateful for.

I am grateful for the work that has happened this year.
I am grateful for the attention I am getting as a working writer.
I am grateful for the joy I feel working.
I am grateful for the laughs I've had this week just at the moments I've needed them.
I am grateful for the level of commitment I have.
I am grateful the Ariana Grande song that seems to be my summer jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment