Monday, June 20, 2016

Force Stop

The Universe has been trying to get me to slow down and I'm resisting. I like to be busy, but I don't know how to take a break. I had a trip planned to see my friend Bill in Sonoma this weekend. I've been looking forward to it and planning for it, so I tried to get all of this shit done last week. That didn't really happen the way I wanted it to happen. In my mind, I got nothing done. In reality, I got some stuff done. But I needed a break, and I was resisting and denying that need.

On Monday, I went and saw my friend Nicole who's moving. I got my hair cut. And I saw my friend Ryland for tea - we met to talk about working together on some projects. Tuesday I didn't do much. I started doing some work on this pitch. Wednesday, I met on a project for lunch and took notes on the pitch. Then I went to a rehearsal. Thursday, I got my nails done and did the Father's Day dim sum lunch we do every year for my Dad who's dead. Then I left town on Friday.

That's not NO work. It's not finishing the written pitch and sending it in and doing more work on my pilot, which is what I wanted to get done.

I headed out of town early in the morning on Friday and made it to San Francisco. Then we drove to Sonoma and had a beautiful time at a winery and made dinner. Pool time on Saturday and a t-dance in a vineyard and on Sunday I headed back. Over the weekend, I had great conversations with friends. I always get rejuvenated from being away at Bill's. That was terrific. He's got such an incredible group of smart, gay friends who are warm like he is and actually have something great to talk about. These guys are financially successful and really interesting to talk to. The conversation sometimes sways towards the superficial, but that's not where it lands. I feel like my brain is given a jolt when I'm up there - and these are guys who go to gay bars and have vapid affairs, but they have engaged professional lives and are intellectuals. I much prefer the SF gays to the LA gays. And they're a little less body conscious - as in, people of all shapes and sizes can hang together.

This morning, I woke up refreshed. I turned in the written pitch. I finished work on another project I had to work on. Now I need to read four scripts and turn them in for a paycheck. Then I'm done with the non-creative paid stuff. And I can move on and work on the pilot and hopefully get that finished before I head out of town. I have where I want the story to go. I just need to worry about the characters and making them as interesting as possible. But I stopped because I needed to. I got what I needed and now I'm moving on to the next project.

I'm taking time off again next week to head to Portland to see my brother and his family. It sounds like I'll be doing some art with the niece and nephews. I want to tell stories with them using a story starter I got them a couple of years ago that I think they've never used. I'll see some old friends for some meaningful catch ups. We'll head to the coast for some time to get away. And I'll get time with my niece to talk and have interesting conversations - imprint my influence on her, hopefully. That'll be good for me to get some stuff done. Maybe I'll take her with me to a coffee shop while she reads and I work. Time in Portland is also time for me to feel energized as well. I want to do a bunch of fun stuff with my niece while she's not in school. This time I'll definitely relax and have a real extended period of time away and hopefully, I'll come back energized.

I am grateful for beautiful places to be able to get away to.
I am grateful for the love of friends.
I am grateful for exciting visits.
I am grateful for a lot of fun in my life.
I am grateful for work that's coming my way.
I am grateful for more opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment