Monday, July 31, 2017

Breaks are Important/Gratitude in Action

I'm going to Portland in a few days for two weeks.

Play time. That's on the agenda. Plus some research for a pilot I'm working on. But not too much other than that. I want to see friends. I want to eat well. I want to drink beer. But mostly I want to play with my niece and nephews. I want to have story time. I want to have chill time. I want to have dance parties. And I want to sing.

I want to be a kid basically for two weeks.

The professor needs some lessons from his tiny little professors. I want to have the permi-smiles they have on their faces. I want to be as curious as they are. I want to be as engaged and as present. I aspire to that every single day I breathe life on this planet. Frankly, I think I do a decent job at that. But they're even better at it because they're kids. And I want to reflect that back to them so that they never let that go.

I'm healthier than I've ever been, mentally and physically. Sure, I've got some extra weight on these bones that I'd like to let go of. But it's nothing major or life-threatening. It's purely aesthetic. I've got a nice strong face. I have legs that get me around and arms that help me lift things. I can drive in my car. I can make my way around.

When I'm in Portland, I'm going to be able to take the kids out for ice cream and go on walks with them. I will be able to teach them dance moves. One thing I want to make sure we do when I'm in town is make time for story time. I want them to take the story I tell them and build on it. It would be great if I could share with them my love of storytelling in some concrete way. My job is to engage my imagination.

That's why I'm thankful for what I do. I get to engage my imagination and get paid for it. I get paid for keeping my mind sharp and for telling stories that don't often get to be told. I get paid for being socially conscious and aware. I get paid for representing my people in my work. I get paid for speaking my mind and speaking truth to power. I'd love for them to know that that's possible.

My work inspires me. Both my playwriting and my TV writing. I'm working on a pilot that is about my personal awakening. And it's going to be great storytelling and funny as well. I've had the great fortune of learning the craft of TV writing in kind of a crash course in two years. I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to take what I learn and spread the good cheer. I have such great colleagues in the theatre world as well. Gosh, I'm incredibly fortunate to do what I do. And I want to do more of it.

My intention is growth.
My intention is to spread the word.
My intention is to be truthful.
My intention is to speak truth to power.
My intention is to be myself.
My intention is to be free.

I am grateful for the meetings I have set up.
I am grateful for the friends I have supporting me.
I am grateful for the opportunities in front of me.
I am grateful for time I get to spend with my family.
I am grateful for the kind of life I am setting up for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment