Saturday, July 1, 2017

Absorbing

Finished a rewrite of a pilot script yesterday. I printed it out and put it into a binder that I brought with me to the Korean Spa to mark up tonight.  Something about the feel of a script in my hand makes it all feel way more real. My goal is to get the script to my manager on Monday, along with another script I wrote. I gave the script to my two most trusted writer confidantes. I'm trying to get some feedback so I can hand something in that's tight and good.

Then I'm going to spend all next week binge watching some shows that I need to catch up on and that reflect what I'm writing next. Those shows include:


  • Glow
  • Looking
  • Dear White People
  • Maron
  • Louie
  • Master of None
  • Insecure
  • Fleabag
  • Catastrophe
  • Transparent
  • Atlanta
  • Better Things
  • Queer as Folk (U.K.)
  • Easy
  • Lady Dynamite

That's a lot to get done in the next week. But that's all I'm doing next week. I'm watching TV! I love that's my job. I want to take some mental and physical notes and do some brainstorming on this next thing I'm writing. I'm trying to influence my voice a bit. I know how much of a sponge I am when I'm writing. I want to absorb the most helpful things. These are also shows I'm just excited about watching. I have a lot to catch up on. I'm not fueling the tank with shows. I don't watch as much as I need to be watching. I watch a lot of documentaries and food shows. And while those are great entertainment for me and they are enjoyable, I need to watch some things for work. Again, I love that this is my work. 

I notice that a lot of my colleagues watch a lot more TV than I'm watching these days. I need to get my shit together. Yes, I know people watch TV instead of write and I could get all full of myself and say that I've been writing so I haven't had time to watch TV. But that's also bullshit. I need to keep up. And to give myself that as an assignment is fun.

I'm going to work on getting this new sample together. And then I'm going to watch a bunch of dramas. Here's what's on that list so far:

  • Stranger Things
  • Westworld
  • Big Little Lies
  • 13 Reasons Why
  • Gypsy
  • American Crime Season Three
  • People Vs. OJ
  • Jane the Virgin
  • Riverdale
  • Sense 8
  • The OA
  • Jessica Jones
  • Green Leaf
  • London Spy
  • Black Mirror
Fortunately, there are a lot of first season or one season shows on both lists, so I can bang out a lot of them. The great thing is that I will be traveling a little in July, so I can also get that stuff watched while I'm traveling. I want to absorb as much as I can.

I'm trying to get this half hour spec done and then hopefully one more hour spec. I'm supposed to be looking at some old stuff too to see if there's anything I can fix. With that amount of material, I'll have three hour pilots, one half hour pilot, and two full length plays to send out. I also have two short plays to send out as well. That's plenty of stuff. 

Then I go back and teach at the end of August. I'll either have a very busy Fall or a very very busy Fall. It would be nice to take this trip to Louisville, but also to make a trip East this Fall. It has been too long since I've been in NYC. If I line up some gigs, then I'm going to try and make a trip East in the Fall in addition to Louisville. If I can cancel class one week, then I can go to NYC for a week. That would be great. I want to see some shows and friends. Then I've got Christmas in Portland per the usual.

I'm also going to Portland for two weeks in August to write. And that will be good concentrated time. That will help ensure that I can get as much done as possible. I'm going to try and write as much as I can during those two weeks. I haven't done a real writing retreat this year yet. I did two last year and they were so productive. I might have a little time in SF when I'm up there. But I'll be mostly hanging out with pals and unwinding. Totally necessary. I need to take time for that too.

My intention is to work.
My intention is to relax.
My intention is to enjoy.
My intention is fun.

I am grateful for getting this script done.
I am grateful for friends who read my work.
I am grateful for my new community of Gay Latino writers.
I am grateful for my regular communities of playwrights in LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment