Monday, July 24, 2017

My Baby Wrote Me a Letter

I've been doing the Oprah/Deepak Meditation Challenge and I'm a few days behind. But the Day 4 Meditation had me reflecting in a journal and asked me to write a letter to myself. I thought it was so helpful that I figured I'd share. This is a letter to remind myself to be good to myself.

Dear Self:

People love being around you. They feel better after talking to you. You create a light in whatever room you walk into. Maybe that's because you walk in with a smile. You're always smiling and that immediately puts people at ease. Then you say something affirming or insightful and people immediately feel they can trust you. You put aside your own ego mainly to listen and to be helpful to others. Honestly, at the core, you believe that we're all better if we're in community with one another and not competition. You have so many groups of people around you who affirm you and who you also affirm. You're generous with your time and your spirit. You become better when you are surrounded by others.

Yes, you're a talented writer. That's not hard to see. You really consider who your characters are and you don't judge them. That's because you try your hardest not to judge others. Sometimes you're not successful, but mainly you succeed. You live most of your life not in judgment of others, but in service to them and in relationship to them. Your ability to be this generous is what makes you an incredible writer. You pay attention - you find the humor and love in every day life.

You're a member of the WGA - a full, fledged, due paying member. You're a Co-Producer of a TV show and have worked hard to get there. You deserve to be acknowledged for that. You help run a theatre company - a whole group of people had a conversation about you when you weren't there, acknowledged everything I just mentioned about you and decided that they wanted you with them. You have writers telling you how helpful your notes are. You have students telling you the same thing. You're a respected college professor as well. You're a professional writer, the thing you've always wanted to be.

You listen. You care for your friends. You care for your family. You give up your time to help others. You have a generous spirit towards everyone you meet. And if there's someone who isn't up to par, you let them be on their way without judgment. You understand that everyone's journey is their own and you don't want to impede on anyone's path. You take in the good things. You live your life, not in a writer's cave, but out in the world. You experience things and let them affect you. You acknowledge the pain and struggle in your life and you figure out how to make it work for you.

You are present. You are with everyone you meet. You're a great friend. You're going to be a great partner to someone again someday. You've got so much to offer everyone. And they know it. And now, so do you.

I need the daily reminder of my successes. If I don't remember them, then how will others know everything I've done and how capable I am of the things I'm trying to do. I liked this one. And it was in response to the first exercise, which asked me to write down the ways I feel competitive with other people or how I compare myself. Here's that response, which then prompted the next exercise, which was basically " be good to yourself, no matter what.

I compare myself to others all of the time. Mainly in my work as a TV writer, but also in my personal life with people who look better than me or have relationships. It makes me feel inadequate every time. It makes me feel like I'm not good enough or I haven't done enough. I believe that someone's opportunity has closed a door for me and that I have to hunt around for the next door. I also believe that I am better when I get something and someone else doesn't. Or I am worse if someone else gets something that I wanted.

My intention is to see good things in myself.
My intention is to celebrate myself.
My intention is to be good to myself.
My intention is to be forgiving.

I am grateful for my friends. 
I am grateful for the life I get to live.
I am grateful for the fun I bring.
I am grateful for the good I spread.
I am grateful that people support me.


No comments:

Post a Comment