Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Late Bloomer: From The Public Theatre Blog

Here's a post I came across on Facebook that's from an emerging writer who's 40.  I thought it offered some insight about how our art gets deeper the more time we spend on this planet.

http://publictheaterny.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-late-bloomer.html

I also think it's good that we give ourselves a break sometimes even if our big break doesn't happen by the time we're 25.

But I remember when I was 25, and I was impatient and constantly asking "When is it going to happen?"

But that reminds me of my favorite Walt Whitman quote from Song of Myself that I drew inspiration from when I was 22.  It's easy to say that it should happen when it happens when we're young, but once we start getting into the 30s, then our palms begin to sweat and we start to berate ourselves because it hasn't happened yet.

I've worked with people who didn't really get their big break until they were in their 50s and their work was all the better for it.  So for those folks, here's a little Whitman for your late night pleasure.

I exist as I am, that is enough,
If no other in the world be aware I sit content, 
And if each and all be aware I sit content.

One world is aware and by far the largest to me, and that is myself,
And whether I come to my own to-day or in ten thousand or ten million years,
I can cheerfully take it now, or with equal cheerfulness I can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment