Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cave Dwellers

I used to hate the expression "in the writers' cave."  I have friends who, when they would get busy writing, would write on Facebook that they were in the "writer's cave."

If you don't hear from me for the next three weeks, I'm in the writer's cave.  

I'm not answering any phone calls and only emails sporadically.  #writerscave

Plenty of my friends have gotten annoyed that I write about writing all of the time.  Here's a recent (maybe obnoxious) message:

78 pages and counting!

I only write about writing so that I can keep myself accountable.  But I get how that might be seen as annoying.  But I only write about writing because it's my way of sending flares up when I'm in the writer's cave.

I'm in an ugly old school, 70s style county library in Culver City right now because I need a change of pace from the gorgeous, brand new county library in West Hollywood that I normally spend my time in.   I am now about 88 pages into a rewrite of a new play and I am very much in the writer's cave.  But as a cave dweller, I actually like to cave hop so that still have some contact with the real world.

It's a Saturday morning.  I've been up since 7:45 AM and I'm devoting my day to writing.  OMG, it's only 10:50 AM.

I think I need to do something.  Maybe go to the gym.  Maybe go for a run.  It's a shitty, cloudy day.

I don't want to be in the cave all day!

Maybe I should send an S.O.S. via Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment