Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Plie is a Journey

I had a dance professor in college named David who always used to say:

"A plie is a journey…see you there!"

I'm not sure if he coined that phrase or if he borrowed it from someone.  But we always used to laugh when he would say that.  We laughed mainly because it was such a wacky, yet exuberant and expressive thing to say.  He also used to say that a plie is necessary because without it, you can't jump as high.  You need the moment of preparation, of rest, of planning before you make the big leap.

I have been on that journey for a couple of years now.  I had forgotten how important the preparation was because I just wanted people to see how high I could jump.  That's the part where you get to show off, right?  Look at how high and how far I can go!  But the plie has to be there first.  It's got to be a good, deep one.  And then you can fly.

I have to say that most of the time I haven't fought it.  It's only in the past six months or so where I feel sort of antsy.  Like I'm ready for something to start moving and stirring up.  I'm trying to surrender and open myself up to the infinite possibilities that the Universe can offer, but it is so in my nature to try and control EVERYTHING.  But I am limited.  The Universe is not.

It's time for me to settle into a deep, deep bend.  Take a breath.  Go deeper.  Prepare for the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment