Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Running Affirmations on the Road: Santa Monica

I'm cat sitting for a friend of mine, so I decided to drive out to Santa Monica (not that far from where I'm staying) for a run.

Susan and I used to drive out every week when she lived in Santa Monica.  That's where these running affirmations started really because we would talk about the things we wanted on these runs.  I remember not always enjoying the running part because I could run a lot faster with more stamina than Susan.

So today I was out on my own.  I ran along Ocean Avenue at Montana down to the pier and then on the beach and back up on the ramp.

I kept waiting for the words to come.  For the affirmation to come.  Nothing came.

I just ran.  I ran fast and strong.  I let the sun pour on me.  The sweat came down my forehead and down the back of my neck.

I finished my run and I felt good.

But no words.

I think I needed to silently mediate today.  My focus was strong.  I didn't even get distracted during the run.  There were very few words I even thought to myself.  I just took everything in and I ran.

I wasn't trying to talk myself into anything.
I wasn't trying to talk myself out of anything.

I have a lot on my mind, but fortunately none of it came to me during my run.

I turned in a teaching application this morning before the run.

After the run, I went to the gym and worked out.

Then I started my day.

I think I'm going to go on a run tomorrow.  See what I hear or don't hear.

Maybe I'll run every day I'm on this part of town.

Maybe I won't have any thoughts.

That would be a real meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment