Monday, December 14, 2015

I Wake Up...

This morning I woke up early, which I like to do. I woke up at 7 AM and I came downstairs and watched some interviews and read some interesting articles. I have to let my mind wake up a bit first. Then I need to do things like this and get my thoughts out on paper (or a computer screen) just to check in with myself and to see what I'm feeling. On a morning like this, when it's cold and I'm up in the canyon, it feels like a writing morning. It feels like I'm set up to succeed and take my time. I love it when it's quiet too.

I was at San Diego State teaching last week, filling in for a friend. And I taught two classes on a Tuesday and Wednesday, so I stayed overnight. And it was remarkable because usually I'm in bed at a certain time. I came home from class at 10 and went out and got some food. Then I sat in my room to look over some papers and to get some work done. That was terrific. But because it was so quiet I felt energized. I went to work at an office at around 12:30-1 am and the campus was so tranquil. I worked in this office for two hours in silence and then walked back across campus around 3-3:30 am and felt like there was this peaceful time that felt so relaxed. I was up until 5 am because I was just awake. It's incredible how much energy once has when there isn't a lot of noise. I've learned to appreciate stillness and to work well within it. It's not like I couldn't work otherwise. But when I'm usually in bed by 1am, to be energized until 5 am and to force yourself to go to sleep was an interesting observation. I could have stayed up all night I felt. And if I didn't have other things to do, I probably would have. I didn't feel tired the rest of that day. It was glorious.

So here I am at around 8:30 in the morning and just feeling relaxed. I'm a bit tired because I haven't had anything to eat yet. But I like the idea of fasting a bit in the morning and not rushing to put food in my mouth yet. Today I'm meeting with a friend for coffee (tea in my case) to chat about life. Then I've got to mail something off at the post office and after that I'll probably work most of the day on this pilot I'm trying to finish. I want to finish most of my work on it by Friday so I can either send it off to people or so I can have a little bit of a break before getting started again on stuff in January. 

I'm sitting here with my best friend's dogs and just reflecting on the week ahead. It's nice to just wake up and get in touch with yourself. I've got some productivity ahead, but before that starts a cup of tea and a couple hours of silence.

I am grateful for tea.
I am grateful for quiet.
I am grateful for sweetness and love.
I am grateful for the morning.
I am grateful for dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment