Thursday, May 26, 2016

No Plans/ Tons of Plans

I made it through this week. Technically, it's only Thursday and I have one more day before I project I've been working on is due. And this is a thing I'm getting paid for, not just a personal project. So that's good.

But I finished everything I had going on this week. As I reached the mid-way park on this year - technically the end of June, I think about what I've accomplished and what I'm setting myself up for in the second half of the year.

I've written two of the three scripts I had a goal to write this month. The end of the month is on Tuesday, so theoretically I could get that third script done. I have the outline done. I have a bit more work to do before I'm ready to go to script, but that very much could happen and I'd be really thrilled if it did.

I called this year The Year of Challenges because every month I had given myself a different challenge to accomplish. That motivation resulted in a writing job, being asked to join a theatre company and being asked to pitch a series that could result in another writing job. So I wonder if the next Challenge is to have no plans for the rest of the year. Not to take a break. But to keep my launching pad open so that there can be other surprises that come down the pike. This year is better so far than the one I could have imagined for myself. I'd like to continue that pattern.

My caveat is that I won't add new things to write for the year. But I'll just finish the things I have on my plate and then I'll see gets added to that plate.

I finished a rewrite of a pilot in January. That pilot is one of the pilots I need to rewrite this year.
I finished a play in February. That play is having a workshop in August, so I know I'll have to work on that. And it's what I'm submitting this year.
I finished two outlines in March. One new outline for the pilot I rewrote in January. The other outline for my first episode of the show I'm on. And I finished that script in April. I did have at least one draft of it in March, however.
I finished a script in April for our show. I also outlined the latest episode I'm writing in April.

In May, I rewrote my play we just had a reading of. I also finished the first draft of my second script. I outlined the pilot my manager asked me to rewrite. It'd be great if I could finish that script this month as well. I also have been asked to pitch this month.

As I look at what I've done, I've gotten more than one script written or worked on per month, since March. That's a lot more writing than I thought I was doing.

The rest of the year, I have two pilots to work on and I have the play to work on. I have no other plans, other than a pilot idea my manager had. There's the possibility of me working on my own show. And I guess that would take up the rest of my year. And that is great. There's also stuff going on with the theatre company that I'll be planning for and writing. That feels like a full year already, without having to impose deadlines and challenges on myself.

I might also be going to Vancouver for most of August to get work done and hang with my best friend. Also, since Vancouver is home to a lot of production, it might not be a bad thing to spend some time up there.

So I guess I"m not making any MORE plans because looking at this list of projects for the rest of the year, I'm going to be pretty busy as it is.

I am grateful for projects.
I am grateful for work.
I am grateful for down time.
I am grateful for sleep.
I am grateful for full weeks like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment