Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A Vision's Just a Vision If It's Only in Your Head

Today was a good day for productivity of many kinds.

I woke up at 7 AM and went to the gym. I worked out for an hour and sat in the steam room. Left around 9 AM. Then came up here and sent emails - worked. Then headed out to go look for a Saks Off Fifth outlet store that someone recommended I check out. That was a bust, but I realized there's a Whole Foods nearby. That's good info for later.

Went to lunch. Brought my notebook with me in case I needed to write down notes or read anything. I didn't consult the notebook. But I ate. And it was a great bargain. $9.99 for lunch and I had prime rib. I'll be going back there, maybe on Thursday. Or on Friday - on my way out of town. That might be a good way to end my Vegas trip.

Then went to the outlet mall this guy really recommended. And ran smack into the outlet for one of my favorite stores in LA. This might have been a sign. I stalk their website, waiting for sales. So I went in and wanted everything in the store. Here's the good, bad and the ugly: everything was already marked down 30%. Then it was marked down an additional 20%. Except for the stuff in the back, which was marked down 40%. And the stuff in the way, way back, which was a sample sale rack that had samples that were really low. And it looked like everything kept getting marked down because no one was buying. It felt like it was waiting for me. So I bought the things I wanted. And as I was trying things on, and as things were fitting and looking good, I had a thought: "This stuff is meant for me. I'm buying this stuff and I'm going to look good and expensive and hip as I have my meetings." I'm fleshing out my vision of myself. It was incredible. I bought almost $1000 worth of clothes for a fraction of that. But most importantly, I was living out the vision I have for myself. I was dressing the way I wanted to dress and I was paying for it myself. I was becoming the person I've always wanted to be and projecting that through what I'll be wearing. The person people will see is the person I am on the inside as well. It wasn't just about shopping - although it was that and a lot of fun. But in a way it was my Carrie Bradshaw moment of realizing that my emotions are projected through what I wear. For so long, I let other people dress me or fit into what other people wanted me to be. Or I was depressed and stopped caring about what I wore.

I remember The Drummer said to me: "You need to look the part. When people see you, they need to go, 'That's the guy. That's the writer.' If you don't project who you are, no one's going to know you're there." He didn't say exactly that. I paraphrased and rewrote a bit. But that's the gist. I thought of him as I was trying things on and going: "Oh, that's so me. I have to have that." So yes, I have another hoodie. And I have a pair of pink faded jeans that are totally unique and weird looking, but they fit great. They're special. And that's what I wanted. I think I need to get a couple pairs of Vans slip-ons to go with the look. I can already feel that happening. But I got a great navy sweater that says "SUNDAY" on it. Everything I got has a sense of whimsy and ease and has clean lines. That's what I love to wear.

I might have to go back for another pair of shorts. One might not be enough. I'll have to see though.

Why is that important? Because I have done so much work on myself in these past few years - and especially in these last few months - that I have to look like myself. I've got the choppy bob I wanted. And now I'm building the wardrobe I've wanted.

A vision's just a vision if it's only in your head…it has to come to LIFE!"

Bit by bit, putting it together…

I am grateful for a new wardrobe.
I am grateful that my store has an outlet and I found it. 
I am grateful that it found me.
I am grateful to see what I want when I look in the mirror.
I am grateful to be doing what I want.
I am grateful to be guiding the ship.
I am grateful that I am guiding the ship to go in the direction I want to go in, without a co-captain.

No comments:

Post a Comment