Thursday, June 5, 2014

Conference Calls and Coffee

Yes, I am an adult.
I am in my office (for the next 1 1/2 weeks at least).
At a desk.
Typing words that feel important,
probably because I'm in an office at a desk.
I had a conference all with a producer in NYC
and coffee with a good, new friend who's a fellow
playwright.

I just had my lunch.
Now I need a nap.
Maybe I'm not an adult.

My legs don't hurt as much as I thought they would:
I went for a run yesterday.
Needed to work my body out.  It had been a while.

The conference call was good.
Talked about the type of work I'm doing.
Apparently, this guy had vetted me with a couple of my colleagues.
I made the cut.
That feels good.
Sending him a pilot and a play to see what he thinks.
His company produces both.
Just putting the words out there and keeping things moving.
That's what you've got to do, right?
But it was a productive way to spend 45 minutes on the phone this morning.

Then went and met up with my friend Cory
for coffee.  We kind of got our signals crossed and I was waiting around
for 45 minutes.  Oh well.
He's such a nice guy, that it kind of doesn't matter.
Usually, I get so annoyed by these things.
So we finally sat down and chatted for a good hour and a half
about life,
working in TV,
art,
living in LA, etc.

I have a few new friends
who are writers and male,
mostly straight.
I feel like we have things to talk about.
Maybe it's because I'm getting in touch with my
manhood.
And not in the way I usually do.
Male relationships are important to me.
And we're all of an age where sexuality doesn't
play a role:
I'm not trying to fuck them.  That's what I mean.
Young fathers.
I think it's an interesting trend.
I liked our conversation.
He read a play of mine and liked that.
It's a good thing.

Then I got an email from a friend
who I haven't heard from in a while.
He's an adorable guy and wants me to come out
and see a play that he's producing tomorrow.
That should be a lot of fun.
Right?
I hope so.

I'm trying to put myself out there
and make connections.
I'm trying this low anxiety thing and seeing how it fits.
We'll see.

Trying to connect with my boyfriend more.
That's not going as well.
But with a slightly freer schedule than I had
in April and June, maybe things will get easier.
We shall see.

I am grateful for free days.
I am grateful for friends who can meet up.
I am grateful for going to see theatre for free.
I am grateful for catching up.
I am grateful for Trader Joe's Kale and Edamame salad.  And their popcorn.
I am grateful to be working so productively.

No comments:

Post a Comment