Monday, June 16, 2014

In Recovery

This is what happens when you're productive,
when you've been go-go-going for six weeks straight
and you stop:

Your body shuts down.

To be fair, my body hasn't completely shut down,
but I'm tired.
I have a scratch at the back of my throat.
I took a hard nap this afternoon.
I'm drinking cinnamon tea.
I just finished a 20 minute meditation.

I'm bringing the energy level down.

I'm in recovery.

Today's activities:

Went to the office.
Paid my car insurance.
Read two plays.
Sent in an invoice to get paid.
Set up a meeting for tomorrow.
Sent in my resume for two applications for teaching jobs.
Finished reading the Larry McMurtry memoir Hollywood.
It was interesting.
I like that it very much feels like blog posts.

I'm not doing any heavy lifting this week.
I'm settling up my debts,
meaning the debts accrued while I was writing for six weeks,
which means that I pushed myself hard
and now it's pay back time.  
I need to take it easy.

Tomorrow I'm seeing a friend for coffee.
Then I'm going to yoga.
Then maybe a light run.
And hopefully some work on my website.

But what I really need to do is get my diet together.
I gained ten pounds during this writing session.
So I need to go back and get the lentils and kale back in my diet.
I need to drink some protein shakes.
I need to enjoy my brown rice and my greens.
Some lean protein.
Less red meat.
Lots of water.
Lots of running.

I should be okay in a few weeks.

I also need to bring my lifestyle down a bit.
I allow myself indulgences when I'm writing.
Now my indulgences will be doing a lot of reading.

I'm taking Joss Whedon's advice and I'm filling the tank.
I'm giving myself a two week recovery period
before I get my office back.
Truth be told, 
I'll be in Portland for the first week of July,
so I will be feeding the tank in other ways as well.
Need to replenish.
This is just as important as the writing phase.
I need to take in information and feed myself that way.

Something I just realized:
When I'm taking in lots of creative calories
(i.e. filling the tank, watching a lot of Netflix, going to movies,
reading, plays, etc),
I'm not taking in a lot of food calories.
And the reverse is true.
When I'm burning off those calories by writing,
I'm eating more.

That works.

I am grateful to be done!
I am grateful for this "down time."
I am grateful for Netflix and HBO Go.
I am grateful for the time to replenish.

No comments:

Post a Comment