Friday, June 6, 2014

Desk Job

I haven't worked a regular job in about three years.
A desk job.
I have taught.
I have freelanced.
I have just spent time writing.

I like this freedom.
I want to maintain this freedom.
For the past two weeks, I have had an office
I have been able to go to and get work done.
I sit at a desk all day, by myself,
and type.
Sometimes that typing translates into writing.
Sometimes that typing translates into blogging.
Sometimes I just pass the time.
Other times I watch You Tube videos.

It's all writing.
I have to remind myself of that,
especially on days like today
where I got a minimal amount of written work done.
On Wednesday, I felt incredibly productive
because I had fully outlined my spec.
I had a full idea of my story lines and how they all worked together.
It gave me a sense of accomplishment.

Then yesterday, I had meetings.
Both about work,
one with a friend
and the other with a new work associate.
I got a lot of "business" stuff done when I was in
the Bay Area,
both at the University and with another friend
who is a director.
Talking about my plays and collaborating.
I think it's good to have someone
who you can collaborate with on new work.
I like having a director on a project from
its inception because it allows me to work on
new ideas with another eye towards the visual.
And it's great to have someone else to bounce ideas off of.

But the desk has been feeling a bit confining.
I guess that's the nature of a desk.
I shouldn't let it get me down,
but because I'm in a room by myself all day
things get to me.

I need to get outside more.

I am grateful for collaborators.
I am grateful for plays to go see on a Friday night.
I am grateful to be a working writer.
I am grateful to be so prolific.
I am grateful to have such generous friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment