Friday, June 13, 2014

Hard Work Doesn't Have to be Torture

I wrote something on my Facebook page yesterday about writing always being hard.

A friend of mine wrote back:

If it's not, you're not doing it right.

Well…

I've adopted a practice where I'm trying to be better to myself.  So the actual work of it all, I think will always be a lot of work.  But I think where I get myself into trouble (or have in the past) is that I torture myself.  I am hard on myself or I get down on myself because I think that will make the writing better.

It doesn't.

And my complaint was really about everything surrounding the writing: the fear, the anxiety, the anticipation, the pressure.  Some would say the writing and the drama around the writing go hand in hand.  I don't think so necessarily.

That is something I am trying to get better about.

I'm trying to be more patient with myself.  I'm giving myself freedom and license to just breathe.  I remind myself that the work will get done and I'm capable of getting it done.  I'm constantly trying to say nice things to myself to encourage myself.  That's a way to make it easier.

Everyone has their process.  I'm just trying to find a way so that I don't have myself or put myself down every time I sit down to write.

That should get easier with time.

I am grateful for friendly reminders.
I am grateful for sleep.
I am grateful for trying new things.
I am grateful for quiet.
I am grateful for time.
I am grateful for new found patience with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment