Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Girl Group

I'm a playwright.
That means I'm a pretty artsy guy, I guess.
I like to have conversations about art and theatre
and dance and poetry and politics and a bunch of 
other smart stuff.

I also like it when I get to talk to other playwrights 
about any and all of the above.

Last night, I went to a party celebrating the release of a list of 46
plays written by women that are available for production.  They have 
either had one production or no productions.  This is in reaction to a ridiculous,
antiquated and frankly behind the times idea that it's hard to find plays
by women to produce.

So a group of 13 women called The Kilroys have gotten together
along with 127 theatre professionals
to curate a list of 46 plays written by women
pared down from
over 300 that were submitted for the vote.
And it has started a revolution, 
a cultural conversation, 
one that isn't just about complaining
or being sad or defeated or lost or pissed off,
although maybe this revolution started with that
impulse.  But these women went and did something about it.

And they put the theatre world on blast,
which I think is a terrific thing.

I'm hoping that this List will inspire other lists
for other populations of people who are
left out of the mix.
It was inspiring to know that just one simple action,
expanded through plenty of phone calls, emails
and elbow grease,
talked about on Twitter
and spread across the media landscape 
could spark a revolution.

And that's what it is.  A revolution.
It sparked a change in thought
and a non-acceptance of the way things are.
A rejection of a certain status quo.
I love that in any and all forms.
And although I am not a woman,
the fact that these women spoke up
affects me as a gay, Chinese, Mexican person.
It means that we're not going to stand for 
things being the way they are.

Yes, there are other conversations that need to happen
like how do we make room for these plays
in spaces and among communities that don't normally
find theatre.
As in all other media,
there's a conversation to be had about distribution.
But for now,
it's plenty enough
for us just to start a conversation
and piss some men off
and piss some women off
and realize that when you make a big noise
people will move away from the big noise
or cover their ears
or try to SHUSH you really loudly.

That's just the cost of speaking up.
And it's such a small cost to pay.

One of my favorite parts of the evening
was that it brought together a lot of women
but also a lot of men who support women
to support this cause.
And I got to talk with old friends
about things that were important to all of us.
And I got to have conversations with new friends
and forge connections based on common beliefs.
I love when I get to do that too.

Mostly, it made me feel like a part of a real community,
a real relevant and caring community.

It was beautiful.

And now back to the business of writing plays 
in ways that I want to write plays.

I am grateful for a new office sharing partnership.
I am grateful to be motivated.
I am grateful to be supported.
I am grateful to be alive.
I am grateful to be a playwright.
I am grateful to be a writer who writes every day.
I am grateful for success.
I am grateful for motivation.
I am grateful for a desk to call my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment