Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Google Me? ME?

I had a last minute meeting with the artistic director of a local theater company this morning.  He's commissioning writers for a monologue project which sounds exciting and innovative.  As much as I love pure creativity and creative output, I also love innovation in how that work is seen and received.  And his ideas for how we get this project out in the world is exciting.

More on that at a later date when the project starts coming together…

I had to submit a couple of plays for him to read, so I was utterly amazed when I got a phone call that he wanted to meet today.  I had just submitted the plays maybe on Saturday?

But it wasn't my plays which got his attention.  It was a guest blog post that I wrote two years ago that he read.  And he found the blog post because he GOOGLED ME.

I guess everything is out there because I am not famous by any stretch of the imagination.  I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but it's weird to be Googleable.  I don't think of myself in that way.  I'm not as anonymous as I thought I was, which is a good thing.

So he read this blog post I wrote for a friend's blog and I guess he found it funny and a real glimpse into who I am as a writer.

I blog every day.  I don't have my name on either this blog or the other one I started three and a half years ago after my break up because I was trying to protect the innocent.  But I have a website I'm putting together and I will be linking my blogs to that website, plus starting up a new blog that is directly linked to the website and created especially to the site.  So in a matter of time I will be even less anonymous.  Am I ready for that?

Am I ready for a lot more Googleability?

Yeah.  It's time for that.  I am creating a more public persona for myself.  I'll probably take the veil off of this blog as well.  I have a lot of material I have been writing on these blogs for several years.  I love how informal this blog is.  I don't edit it.  These are not articles masquerading as blog posts, which for me are journal entries.  They are immediate thoughts.  But I like the idea that I might do a blog on my site that is much more branded and written like articles.  There's a time for flashier for sure.  But I love the immediacy of this blog too.  I like being able to just write things as I'm thinking them.

But back to this Google thing.
It is making me aware that I do have a public persona on some level, whether I like it or not.
So I'm just going to lean into it.
Because I really have no choice.
Why fight the current?

I am grateful for Googleability.
I am grateful for friendship.
I am grateful for a courtyard.
I am grateful for an open door.
I am grateful for a closable door.
I am grateful for music.
I am grateful for nice weather.
I am grateful for productive afternoons.
I am grateful for my car.
I am grateful for the trips I have taken this month.
I am grateful to be rounding out the month on a high point.

No comments:

Post a Comment