Sunday, May 11, 2014

This Does Not Have to be Good

There's a writing exercise that's all about writing a bad scene.  Or a bad play.

The point is to take the pressure off trying to make everything perfect right away.
It's about getting out of your head.
It's about freedom.
It's about letting go.
It's a great exercise.

I was talking to a friend of mine who had lunch with the woman who's running a program that I'm applying to.  I have to submit a pilot with a concept for the first season.  He told me that the woman told him that it wasn't about how good the writing was.  It was more about the idea.

So here's how I'm choosing to interpret that: write a bad pilot.

Not that I'm literally going to write something awful.  But I'm going to worry more about the idea coming across than the writing being pretty.

Of course, it's impossible for me to do that entirely.  But I'm going to take the pressure off of myself to have a draft that's perfect perfect perfect.  As long as I convey the idea, I'm going to consider that a success.

As long as I have the mechanics down and the scenes laid out, then I'm all good.  It will also make the pilot easier to write with all of the mechanics in place.

I also have to remember that I have the pilot already.  The elements are there.  I know what this pilot is about.  I just have to tighten the screws.

That's all this is: tightening the screws.

Whatever I can do to take the pressure off myself.

I'm making notecards.

I am grateful for intel.
I am grateful that the Universe keeps telling me that writing this pilot is important.
I am grateful that the Universe is telling me that May is an important month.
I am grateful that it's enough that I show up.
I am grateful that I've had this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment