Monday, May 5, 2014

Retreat: Agenda

I have arrived in Monterey, the site of my self-imposed, custom-made writers retreat.  I have unpacked, gone to lunch with my friend Molly, checked out the town, gone grocery shopping and now I'm ready to start setting my retreat plan.  I'm trying to hold myself accountable.

Monday
7 PM-9 PM: Retreat commences.  Prep work.  Need to look at notes and make more notes both projects.

9-9:30 PM: BREAK

9:30 PM-MIDNIGHT:  Late night session.

MIDNIGHT: BED

Tuesday
7 AM: MORNING RUN AND MEDITATION
8 AM: BREAKFAST AND CHECKING EMAIL
9 AM: Start work.  At the House.
12 PM: LUNCH AND CHECK EMAIL
1 PM: Afternoon Session.
4 PM: BREAK.
6 PM: DINNER AND CHECK EMAILS.
7 PM: Evening Session.
10 PM: Finish notes/wrap up.
10:30 PM: END OF DAY.

Okay, so I figured out into Day One that this really wasn't working.  So here's what I really ended up doing.

On Tuesday I ran and then came back to start work and eat breakfast.  I really ended up answering emails and figuring out a refund for our hotel bill this past weekend.  Everything was coming out extremely slowly.  I was getting frustrated. 

Then after lunch I started getting work done.  I went to the library.  I came back to the house and wrote.

I realized that restriction is not a motivating factor in getting my work done.  I need to be good to myself and feel like I have all the time in the world.  

Wednesday:
7 AM: MORNING RUN AND MEDITATION.
8 AM: BREAKFAST AND CHECKING EMAIL
9 AM: Start work.  Off-site.
12 PM: LUNCH/SHOP AT WHOLE FOODS.
1 PM: Afternoon Session.
4 PM: BREAK
6 PM: DINNER AND CHECK EMAILS
7 PM: Evening Session.
10 PM: Finish notes/wrap up.
10:30 PM: END OF DAY

I ended up spending most of my day at the spa getting work done.  I like it as a workspace and will try it again on Friday.

Thursday
7 AM: MORNING RUN AND MEDITATION.
8 AM: BREAKFAST AND CHECKING EMAIL
9 AM: Start work.  Off-site.
12 PM: LUNCH AND CHECK EMAILS.
1 PM: Afternoon Session. At Library.
4 PM: BREAK (Art Museum)
6 PM: DINNER AND CHECK EMAILS
7 PM: Evening Session.
10 PM: Finish notes/wrap up.
10:30 PM: END OF DAY

I'm going on a long run.  Then going to work out of the house and a couple of coffee shops.  Maybe even go to Pacific Grove tomorrow and work there for a bit.  I think tomorrow's an offsite day, but exploring different towns.   And trying to get Act One finished.  Also, the Art Museum is open tomorrow.

Friday:
7 AM: MORNING RUN AND MEDITATION.
8 AM: BREAKFAST AND CHECKING EMAIL
9 AM: Start work.  Off-site.
12 PM: LUNCH AND CHECK EMAILS.
1 PM: Afternoon Session.
4 PM: BREAK
6 PM: DINNER AND CHECK EMAILS
7 PM: Evening Session.
10 PM: Finish notes/wrap up.
10:30 PM: END OF DAY

Friday is going to be about the Spa again.  No run.  I'll start early somewhere, maybe get breakfast, drive somewhere.  Do the Spa, then have an early 5 PM dinner at the place that does $12.99 sand dabs and a martini.  I'll be in heaven.  Rewarding myself for starting the pilot.

Saturday:
7 AM: MORNING RUN AND MEDITATION.
8 AM: BREAKFAST AND CHECKING EMAIL
9 AM: Start work.  Off-site.
12 PM: LUNCH AND CHECK EMAILS.
1 PM: Afternoon Session.
4 PM: BREAK
6 PM: DINNER AND CHECK EMAILS
7 PM: Evening Session.
10 PM: Finish notes/wrap up.
10:30 PM: END OF DAY

I'm going to get up early and head to SF to do a boot camp with my friend Bill and our other pals.    Then I'm going to come back here and work for the rest of the day here at the house.  There's a big auto show in town that I want to avoid like the plague.

Sunday:
7 AM: MORNING RUN AND MEDITATION.
8 AM: BREAKFAST AND CHECKING EMAIL
9 AM: Start work.  Off-site.
12 PM: LUNCH AND CHECK EMAILS.
1 PM: Afternoon Session.
4 PM: BREAK
6 PM: DINNER AND CHECK EMAILS
7 PM: Evening Session.
10 PM: Finish notes/wrap up.
10:30 PM: END OF DAY

Sunday will be about going to Carmel and working if I can.  Another field trip, but I like that.  Go down there and run down there and then work.

Monday:
7 AM: MORNING RUN AND MEDITATION.
8 AM: BREAKFAST AND CHECKING EMAIL
9 AM: Start work.  Off-site.
12 PM: LUNCH AND CHECK EMAILS.
1 PM: Afternoon Session.
4 PM: BREAK
6 PM: DINNER AND CHECK EMAILS
7 PM: Evening Session.
10 PM: Finish notes/wrap up.
10:30 PM: END OF DAY

The Monterey Sports Center is open: M-F 5:30AM-9:30 PM, Sat, Sun: 8 AM-6PM
$8.50 drop in rate daily
Morning Runs will be done in different locations every day.
Breaks be of different varieties.  A movie, a walk on the beach, exercise…anything to open up the mind and decompress from the first two work sessions of the day.  Or errands for food.
The Museum of Art is open Thursday through Monday (11-5, except on Thursdays when it's open until 8 )

The only rules:

  • Write a lot.
  • Eat a lot.
  • Sleep a lot.
  • Dream a lot.
  • Get outside when you can.

I am grateful for getting to Monterey safely.
I am grateful for music in my iPod.
I am grateful for seven days in paradise.
I am grateful for beautiful settings and food.
I am grateful for good friends.
I am grateful for lots to do.
I am grateful for lots to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment