Thursday, May 8, 2014

Retreat: Why is Writing Out Of Town So Much Better?

I'm on Day Three (really Day Two) of my self-imposed writer's retreat.  And it has been great so far.

I'm about thirty pages in on this new play.
I am eating well.  So much better than the "floating Dennys."
Molly and I went to Whole Foods and had dinner.

I spent the day at the spa working.  Although, the boyfriend commented that I like going to the spa a lot, which offended me.  It felt like he was saying I was just having a good time.  But I am more productive when I am being good to myself rather than beating myself up.  It's a lesson that has taken me too long to figure out.  Because whether or not I like going to the spa for fun, the truth is that I got twenty pages out of it today.  SO THERE!

I have gone on two runs.
I am going for a longer run tomorrow.  I think I'm going to try and run to Pacific Grove and back.  Then dinner with Molly tomorrow night.
So I'm trying to have Act One rewritten by then.  I am close.  I have one scene to write from scratch, but most of the other scenes will be recycled in some way.  So by tomorrow I should have finished Act One of my play and then I'm putting it down and starting work on the pilot.

I also want to do boot camp with the boys in SF on Saturday.  I need to get my ass kicked by Bill and I want to just push my limits.

So…why is writing out of town so much better?

Because I'm out of my routine.
I can come home and not have to be a good boyfriend.
I don't have to make dinner for anyone.
I can workout whenever I want to.

I am grateful for three great days in Monterey.
I am grateful for big showers and small steam rooms.
I am grateful for the ease of this town.
I am grateful for being up late working.

No comments:

Post a Comment